Skip to main content


Dental emergencies and urgent appointments in Hassocks

If you are experiencing unusual or excessive bleeding, trauma or swelling, you will need to see a dental professional as soon as possible.

If the problem is a facial or jaw fracture, you will need to see a maxillofacial specialist at a hospital; however, in most other cases, your Hassocks dentist is best placed to deal with dental emergencies.

Common urgent problems include toothache, lost fillings or crowns and denture issues.

Please phone us on the day for availability and we will do our best to make sure you are seen as soon as possible.

What to do in a dental emergency

Call us during working hours on 01273 842987 and we will do everything we can to see you as soon as possible.

Out-of-hours emergencies

If you require emergency treatment outside surgery hours, please call the surgery number 01273 842987  to hear a message detailing the specific arrangements for that day.

Alternatively, there is an out-of-hours NHS emergency dental service for which there is no call-out fee.

Haywards Heath 01444 440695
or Crawley Hospital 01293 518541

dental exam

Frequently asked questions on dental emergencies

What should I do if I have toothache?

Keep your mouth clean by rinsing it with warm water. If it is swollen, place a cold compress on your cheek. Take paracetamol or ibuprofen for the pain. NEVER put aspirin or any other painkiller directly on the gum – this will actually cause burns. Then call Hassocks Dental Surgery to book your emergency appointment.

What do I do if my permanent tooth has been knocked out?

Hold the tooth by the crown, not the root end, and try and rinse it clean, but don’t scrub it. Do not remove any attached fragments of tissue. If you can, try and put the tooth back in its place, ensuring it is facing the right way, and bite on a clean towel to hold it there. Doing this within five minutes means your tooth is 85% more likely to survive, compared to very few teeth that are stored dry and reimplanted after an hour. If you can’t put the tooth back in place, submerge it in a cup of milk. If you don’t have milk, salty water is also effective. You’ll be seen as soon as possible by the practice team.

What do I do if my child’s milk tooth has been knocked out?

Don’t attempt to put the tooth back in its socket, as this could risk damaging the permanent tooth underneath. Instead, try and stop the bleeding by applying gentle pressure with gauze or a muslin for around 10 minutes. Give your child paracetamol or ibuprofen for the pain, but never place aspirin or any other painkiller directly on the gums, as this can cause them to burn.

What do I do if I have chipped or broken my tooth?

Contact us and we will see you as soon as possible to decide on the best course of emergency action. This could include filing the tooth down so that it is smooth, rebuilding it with a resin material, or removing it. We’ll advise you on your options for tooth restoration if required.

What do I do if something is stuck between my teeth?

If you can’t remove the object yourself using dental floss, contact Hassocks Dental Surgery. Do not attempt to remove the object with anything sharp, like a pin, as you’ll risk hurting your gums or damaging the tooth enamel.

What do I do if my braces have broken?

If a brace wire has come loose, try using the rubber end of a pencil to push it into a more comfortable position. If this isn’t possible, try covering the wire with dental wax, a small cotton ball or a piece of gauze until you can get to Hassocks Dental Surgery. Never cut the wire, as you could end up swallowing or inhaling it.